Friday, August 15, 2008

ode to the grandmas

Our Grandmas
Joanie, Wendy and I were the lucky ones. I am speaking just for the girls because well, we are girls and will always be girls even though we are all approaching 40. The three of us had the best Grandmas on the planet. My Grandma Ann, Joanie’s Grandma Muriel and Wendy’s Grandma Ruth. They were all sister in laws. We three are the result of their hugs, kisses, love, support, a little cash here and there and some really great Christmas presents. Yes, we love our parents too, but Grandparents are where it’s at, just ask any one of our children. Look at us, didn’t we turn out good? No noticeable tattoos, body piercings or purple hair.
I have talked a lot to Joanie and Wendy about how lucky we were to have these wonderful women in our lives and we all have very similar stories. We all say, “no one really knows what our relationships were”. Even as an adult I talked to my Grandma weekly, as did Joan and Wendy. As a young child I would visit my Grandma numerous times, she would pick me up and we would go to church, shopping, to lunch or for a visit with my Dad. As a teenager I would drive my 1963 VW bug on the 91 Freeway all the way to Orange from wherever I was living at the time. This was very dangerous, especially since my car was barely holding together, but the thought of a home cooked meal was too hard to pass up. I was rewarded by all my efforts because my Grandmother waited to die until I drove with my husband and children all the way from California to Arizona. I prayed the whole way she would wait for me and she did so that I could tell her how much I love her.
My Grandma Ann drove my brother and I around a lot for someone who didn’t learn to drive until much later in life. The most fun was when we would drive to see Aunt Muriel and Uncle Hank. I always thought they were bigger than life! Swings in their living room? Creeks with bridges in their backyard and their great big Cadillac’s! Aunt Muriel was always pretty and smelled good. Her guest rooms that I would get to sleep in were like living in a dream. She always had a great big hug and smile for me and always asked “How is your Mom? Please tell her I said Hi!” My greatest memory as a child is when we went to Sea World together and she got me a gold ring with a real pearl. I thought she was so rich! My eyes must have been like saucers! I just told that story to my daughter when we were at Sea World. I guarantee we all have these types of stories about my Great Aunt Muriel.
Now as I look around the room a lot of Grandmas and Great Aunt’s are gone, but the memories will stay in our hearts forever. There are a lot of Aunts and Grandmas here today that are taking over the legacy we have in our family and I am very grateful to have them in my children’s lives. I will miss Aunt Muriel very much, but really do believe they are all together, right now, up in Heaven playing bridge and drinking Manhattans.

No comments: